Summer Vacation?

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Summer Vacation?

Post by OBSESSED »

Straight west of Nephi Utah, lie the best Sand between St Anthony and Glamis. Do not miss out on Lil Sahara.
There is a couple of ways to get there, all the roads are great (most 2 lane but fine and no traffic) Just west of Utah Hwy 6 Between Lundy and Eureka is the Lil Sahara Dunes turn off.
Once at the dunes check out the various camp grounds, some with water right at your spot (one year I saw a 'Doughboy' style 3 foot deep pool at a spot someone brought along) so fill up the pool!? Most of the dunes around the camp grounds are very suited to quads and younger riders.
I chose to camp at the base of Sand Mountain.
On 'BIG' weekends this place Rocks! Like camping at the base of Oldsmobile Hill at Glamis! The dunes I really enjoyed best were on the back side of Sand Mountain, just dune up the 700' vertical rise of SM then find one of the small "cross over" places then DO IT! Dune down the back side and have some fun!
Picture on back of ASA calander guy (RJ) jumping his quad, is taken over the top on the back sides virgin. The Feb 2002 pic is from there also! Nate was spinnin' up a perfect virgin hill! We'll probably stop by on way home (from St. Anthony) some where near the 5-6th of July if you're near by...say HI!

Steve Brooks

Former drunk known as fallin down Steve...now when I fall I have no excuse.
What has the BLM done for you lately? Abao-lute-ly Nothing...
Take this with a grain of sand. Right...........right
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/glamisdunersforcleandunes

KingGlamis

Post by KingGlamis »

For those of you that have not been to Little Sahara, the Sand Mountain there is like two Oldsmobile Hills stacked on top of each other... no kidding. I've been up that hill in a fast hill shooter, over 70 mph up the hill, it's a rush.
Doug

Come on over and talk sand with us at Duner's Hangout.
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/dunershangout

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

LS, Utah is in my backyard/ well 90 miles away. Sand Mtn is the main attraction. The Face is very steep and four strokes struggle IF they can get up it. The Valley side is the same height, but much longer. Many motors are seized on this hill. I prefer to call it EEEEGO hill. Though our riding area is not as big as Glamis it is as good. Our ON season is Feb to the first week in June and Labor day till when the snow flies. I like it better then Saint Anthonys. Not many true bowls there, but an excellent place to go also.

Raptor: Full Big Gun, K&N filter, Works triple rates w/ rezzys, Flipped front wheels +5, Durablue +5 axle, Renthals, airbox mods and jetting, W.B. nerfs, 20x11x8 Sand Devils on Douglas wheels, 99 400ex w/ extras, wifes quad, 35 previous rides,

Repeat Offender
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Repeat Offender »

Do you know what the altitude above sea level Lil Sahara is?
Thanks.

Sandgod

Post by Sandgod »

5000ft........and so is Saint Anthonys.

Raptor: Full Big Gun, K&N filter, Works triple rates w/ rezzys, Flipped front wheels +5, Durablue +5 axle, Renthals, airbox mods and jetting, W.B. nerfs, 20x11x8 Sand Devils on Douglas wheels, 99 400ex w/ extras, wifes quad, 35 previous rides,

iggys-amsoil
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Ok Obessed, How far from Huricane, Ut. is little S? or form I 15 - Salt Lake?

I went to Correl Pink last Septmeber had a great time. The sand there is so fine I discribe it as bended glass. My rim on the CR is no longer polished.
Thanks

Desert_Rat
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Desert_Rat »

Go north of Hurricane on I-15 to Holden (185 miles) then north on US-50 to Delta (30 miles) then north on US-6 through Lynndy (10 mile plus 10 more) turn west at the Little Sahara access road between Lynndy and Eureka and left into the dune parking area at the base of Sand Mountain. We usually go past that last left about 5 miles to just past the cattle guard and camp in the cedar trees on the west side of the low dunes. Like to be by ourselves and have a camp fire/dutch oven pit. Gets a little crazy for the kids around Sand Mountain sometimes.

Every day spent at the dunes adds two days to your life! Dune every other day and live forever!!!

P.S. Don't forget all the Dune in Nevada between Glamis and St. Anthony. Big Dune, Crescent Dunes, Sand Moutain and Winnemucca Dunes.

Edited by - Desert_Rat on 02/06/2002 3:40:50 PM

Edited by - Desert_Rat on 02/07/2002 10:36:50 AM

357bob
1st Gear Member

Post by 357bob »

do you have any current condition reports on the dunes? Plannig a trip down feb 16 and don't mind the cold but snow bites thanks

maddog248
1st Gear Member

Post by maddog248 »

quote:
do you have any current condition reports on the dunes? Plannig a trip down feb 16 and don't mind the cold but snow bites thanks

It rocks I know you had a good time.

SandCarFan
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by SandCarFan »

Steve, how do you compare the backside at Little Sahara with ISDRA areas? I know Sand Mountain doesn't compare to anything at ISDRA but how does the sand compare, the bowls, the transitions, etc.?? It's been 25 years since my last trip to these Utah dunes and to be honest I've forgotten . . .

When I went there last, your sand car was something if it could make it up the face of Sand Mountain (something mine couldn't do). :cry:

We're hoping to make a trip up there and St. Anthony early this coming June.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

The sand is very close to the ISDRA sand in color and shape...

Dunes are very fun there. The area on "The Back Side" is maybe oh (I am guessing now) 2000 acres. Good transions similar to Gordons and Glamis. But hills not as big as the bigger dunes. After a heavy wet winter lots of veg's grow; so could be a problem. We try to get to Lil Sahara at least once a year. Missed last year. But are planning a trip to St Anthony this next summer again and will stop by most likely on way home.

Turn left at Nephi and go straight west...and up the mountain.

See you at the dunes!

Steve

SandCarFan
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by SandCarFan »

I remember the back side as being a blast.

Broke a front spindle on one ride. Had my younger brother stand on the rear of the engine cage to act as ballast and had the front wheel in the passenger seat to get back to camp. While going through the undulating dunes on the north side of the face of sand mountain, I huh, through him off the frame at the top of one of those dunes and ran over him with the rear paddle tire . . . no damage . . . to him or the paddle tire :lol:

Want some company on your trip this summer?? One sand car and a pair of quads.

I remember how to get there. We used to go the route through Santaquin (narrow road) as we came from north of SLC.

Return to “Little Sahara Utah”