June @ The Pink Dune?

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

June @ The Pink Dune?

Post by Astro »

The kids get out of school @ the end of May & start the beginning of August here, so I wondered what June is like & The Pink Dune? Is there any weather info & driving directions from USFS or BLM etc.

I've herd they have a nice improved Camp Ground, as well as dry camping. I also herd you need early reservations for the camp ground?

Who's got all the hot tips on a June Pink Dune trip???

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by OBSESSED »

I've herd they have a nice improved Camp Ground, as well as dry camping. I also herd you need early reservations for the camp ground?
Coral Pink in June is nice.
I've been on July 4th weekend it was great.

Dry camp ground, last time I was there NO fires were allowed.
But that changes. Plenty of space.
improved Camp Ground
Was nice with water at each site and most shaded with pull throughs.
I called way in advance.

It's been a couple of years, so I forgot whom to call but I think it was the Utah Dept of Parks and Rec.

One more thing. "QUIET TIME" Strickly enforced. Do not laugh out loud to loud after 10pm. No engine noise at all.

Enjoy it, a nice southern quad ride on the trails there was very fun.

Out of staters will like Utah's freedoms......

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB »

June is very nice at Coral pink. Actually, it's the best month IMO they have for riding. We were there last year over the 4th of July and it was HOT. We rode in the morning and in the evening and went touring doing tourist stuff during the day.

You can dry camp in the "corral/meadows" and that is free. On busy weekends expect to get a little dusty in the camp area there. You can have a fire there but it must be in a container i.e. bottom of 55 gal drum, wheelbarrel bin etc. You cannot dump your ashes on the ground there either. You can ride 24/7 from this area as long as you don't enter the state park portion of the dunes.

The campground proper is really nice and yes you have to get reservations way in advance or forget it. As stated above they are VERY repeat VERY strict on rules in there. Quiet hours were something like 7/8pm to 9am (no joke). I heard they were going to expand them slightly this season but haven't researched it yet.

Sometimes we roll up there dry and pay a day's entry fee to swing in and load up with potable water. They also have a dump station in the park so you don't have to roll back to where ever heavy with that stuff either.

Here's their web page: http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/park_pag ... hp?id=cpsp

If you have kids under 8 they cannot operate a vehicle however, Utah allows riding double. We have a hard time explaining to the kids that have been riding in Cali all winter that they're not safe/capable to do so in Utah (according to the State of Utah) :? .
OBSESSED wrote: Out of staters will like Utah's freedoms......
Agree, except for their watered down beer. :D
ASA Member

A Family of 4
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative

Post by A Family of 4 »

We'd love to go back in June but not this summer :( We went last November and it was chilly but tolerable (I'd go again in November in a heartbeat!). We drove up from Murrieta, followed Rich B's directions to take Cane Bed Road and didn't have any problems. We also stayed in the State Park Campground with our trailer. The restrooms/showers were unbelievable! You'd never find ones like that here in Cali! They are heated and VERY clean. We took our bikes and Jeep. We went for 4 days, played in the dunes, went jeeping and went to Zion. It was a great central location for our little vacation.
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

-Ronald Reagan

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

Everything sounds great for a family camping trip except the age restrictions :? I notice you have some kids bikes in your stable. Did your kids have any age restriction problems, or are they 8+ :?: I don't know if the little guys can take a 6+ hour drive to be told they can't ride :( Was the age limit posted or enforced when you went to Pink :?: Some of our friends went last July & said it was news to them, but I've met people @ ISDRA that the closures were news to :!:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

RichB

Post by RichB »

99% of the time it is enforced and enforced hard (like everything else up there). My neighbor was stopped and threated with a ticket because he was riding back to camp with his flag under his butt (it broke) while they were at it they told him he had to tie his shoes!

They can be VERY anal and IMO the earlier in the season the worse they are however, I heard some of the country commissioners there got real upset with them harassing folks (driving them and their $$ away). When we went on the 4th of July it was 180 out from Memorial wknd. They basically were not enforceing the age restriction that hard and the various LEOs were staying in their respective juristictions instead of getting in each other's rice bowls like over memorial weekend.

I would not plan on pressing the "test" button unless you can live with the potential for a ticket. We just explain to the kids they have to ride with us double and we have fun doing that and touristy things during the weekend.

Batoutahell
1st Gear Member

Post by Batoutahell »

When I went my son was only 5, and rode a 50. He was a little dispointed that he could not ride on it himself, but we did alot of double riding and he was fine.

My wife did ride on the back of his 50 and let him ride around the campground on it that way, the rangers or police never said anything about it. He actually rode my wife to the rangers station to get ice.

I ride in little sahara all the time and have never heard the age restriction being enforced up there.

I also did the tourist thing during the day, had alot of fun and never had an issue with the rangers.

bat
Paul

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

I guess we're going to pass on the Pink Dunes :( We had planned on going with several families spending $$$ doing the tourist thing, but most of them have kids under 8. Both of our kids are responsible ATV riders under 8 years of age, so Utah won't be getting any of our money :P

Astro 8) .
"Just Ride!"

RichB

Post by RichB »

You can always go to Utah and camp in the woods and trail ride. They have some world-class riding up there. The only place I've been in Utah that we've seen enforcement was Coral Pink. IMO it's because for a small area it has too many LE juristictions squashed together. i.e. Sherrif, park rangers, & BLM police.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

I think Disneyland :wink: might get our money in June instead of Utah :P , & we'll just start our ISDRA season earlier next fall :) .

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Batoutahell
1st Gear Member

Post by Batoutahell »

Yeah, the only place I have ever seen that one law enforced is at coral pink also. I ride utah quite a bit and never have a problem. I actually never heard of the law until we went to coral pink.

I think it is their mistake in enforcing that.

However I bet disneyland sounds better to the kids then coral pink dunes anyway.

:D
Paul

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

The Kids are Dune Rats, so they were really excited about going to some New Dunes this Summer :( I think the Disneyland trip will help smooth things over though :wink:

I don't understand the 8 year old thing @ all. @ work we can only sell ATV's for kids 6 years & older, but I had never herd of 8 years & older before :?

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

RichB

Post by RichB »

Why don't you guys find out about Little Sahara or even go on a big trip and hit Pismo?

Batoutahell
1st Gear Member

Post by Batoutahell »

Little sahara and st. anthony idaho are my favorite ride spots. I just thought it sounded like he did not want to go to utah because of the rule. Little sahara does not enforce that rule, and there are some really good dunes there.

Actually if you were coming to utah, I would highly reccomend little sahara over coral pink, coral pink is fun, but small compared. Plus sand mtn at little sahara is worth seeing, at least in my opinion.
Paul

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

The age restriction is the deal on not going to Coral Pink this year :roll: Not to say that I'm happy about the new fees starting July 1st though, since my ATV's & MC's are registered in AZ already. Since most of the kids in your group will have to leave their ATV's @ home we have lots of nice non-ATV camping right here in Arizona. Coral Pink will have to stay on our todo list for a little longer & maybe we should add Little Sahara too :idea: Will my old Sahara Club card get me in :wink: I do plan on finding out why Utah is moving the age higher than the CPSC Consent Degree that all dealer sell ATV's under in the US, & lobby for something that makes more sense. We plan on riding ATV's & MC's with the kids for a longtime on lots of Summer Vacations :D

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Batoutahell
1st Gear Member

Post by Batoutahell »

I can understand, had I known about the rule (the first I heard was when we pulled up to the ranger station) I probably would not have gone either.

I would definately add little sahara to your list. I live about 4 hours from there and it is one of my favorites. They have nice camping facilities with paved campsites, trees, fire pits, bbq's and picnic tables. Also running water bathrooms and there is water to fill up with and a dump station when leaving.

Just thought I would give you some more info.
Paul

RichB

Post by RichB »

Astro wrote: Not to say that I'm happy about the new fees starting July 1st though,

Astro 8)

What new fees?
ASA Member

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

When my wife called they told her after July 1st out of state atv's etc would need to buy a permit & youths would have to have training. The state of Utah has a site for Parks, but I don't have it handy :oops:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

RichB

Post by RichB »

I canvassed the Utah websites last night and didn't run across any new fees. It has been a law for years that your kids must be "certified". Also, there's a provision in the law that basically says if you're from out of state you can legally ride in Utah if it's less than 14 days however, I think that is predicated on your stuff being licenced/registered in your home state.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

Call 800-OHV-RIDE for training requirements

Coral Pink Sand Dunes 435-648-2800

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov

I think the people @ Pink Dunes told my Wife about the July 1st change.

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

RichB

Post by RichB »

I called up there today and was told there's no "new" rules they know of for this year. The training requirement has been in effect for years although I haven't seen that enforced (unlike the age resrestriction). If you're in Utah for 14 or less days then you do not need a permit/licence for you stuff.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

I just got off the phone 1800-OHV-RIDE for the State of Utah OHV program :idea: .

No riders under 8 on public lands in Utah :(

They are working out the details on ATV training, & out of state ATV permits required after June 2004 by a law the Governor of Utah just signed. They even asked me when we planned to visit Utah, so it's pretty new time sensitive information.

The certificate for ATV training from ASI provided when you buy a new ATV from most manufacturers will pass, or you will need a Utah certificate.

The ATV permits will be required by most out of State residents, but they don't know where they will be available yet. I checked & the AZ OHV plate is not valid for use in Utah after June of 2004.

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

RichB

Post by RichB »

If that's true about "permits" then that sucks. I need need a permit to use my car in utah becuase it has nevada plates. Business' will lose a lot of revenue because of this if it is true. Still wondering why no Utah ATV sites have made no mention of it.

Update: I just checked the Utah official OHV web page and it still says that if under 14 days no need for registration. Now, there is mention of fees for out of state snowmobilers IF there's no reciprocity agreement between the state of Utah and your home state.

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/regi ... fstate.htm

foolofsand
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by foolofsand »

Utah-they are still so dumb their heads hurt. Nevada is always screwed by all these do goody states that want fees. Just where do they think I am going to get a bill of sale from a sm that is 8-10 years old? If I had registration, I wouldnt have to register it with them. duh. how do you register something that has never been registered? same problem in calif etc when trying to register bikes, buggies, quads etc. I CANT give them something I DONT have. so, if I try to register them in cal or utah, without the proper stuff, does this mean they impound them? great result for trying to do the right thing!! the system makes us all criminals when we did nothing wrong. all this crap should be for new registrations etc and not old stuff. I give you the bike, you give me a registration. possession is 9/10 of the law, remember. its not reported stolen. Ive had it for 20 years. No registrations back then. no sales tax for out of state. now, all of a sudden, the laws change and we have no where to go. just a big joke- the govt as usual. I have no problem paying fees, just the way they do it etc. time to sell everything and set home and watch tv the way the govt wants me to do. vegetate. yea man. be a veggie. yea, Im mad. Im tired of all the crap. just give me simple registration. yea, Im venting. summer is coming and I am hot.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

1800-OHV-RIDE the news was bad, but they were very pleasant & helpful :roll:

Our ATV's are Registered & have RV plates in AZ & I was told we will still have to pay a fee for an out of state visitor registration after July 1st :( . In CA they told us our AZ plates are good :) . Utah is like a different country sometimes, but they do have some beautiful places to visit, camp & ride. :?

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Return to “Coral Pink Dunes”